Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pushing the boundaries of fear

While I haven't read many of Tim Winton's books I include him in my two favourite Australian writers based on what I have read.

Recently I read 'The Turning', a collection of stories. Each is complete in itself but after you've read a few you realise that the central character in this story was a minor character in an earlier story. So you're getting bits of different interrelated lives and seeing the world of a small West Australian town from various viewpoints.

'Breath' is a novel about fear and how some choose to push their boundaries taking deeper and deeper risks. As a storyteller I love a story that grabs me, that gives me a little information but hints that there's a lot more coming. I know this isn't the only way to write a novel but I sure enjoy those that have this quality. 'Breath' is a perfect example of this style of writing. It kept me reading until the end. Just how far will they go with their risk-taking?

The writing style is deceptively simple Australian vernacular (often surfing vernacular) but is in fact much richer than that. It's an easy read and very rewarding.

Winton, Tim
The Turning
Picador, 2005

Breath
Penguin, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment